Beth reports from Wembley pitch at NFL game
An Exmouth student got to take the field at Wembley Stadium, when she interviewed officials at the stadium’s recent NFL game.
Beth Thomson, 18, who attends Exmouth Community College, was handed a press pass by the NFL to carry out interviews on the pitch, before the New England Patriots beat the St Louis Rams in front of more than 84,000 fans.
Not only did Beth get on the field before and after the game, interviewing British American Football Referees Association (BAFRA) officials, but she also got to see the post-game interviews in the stadium’s press conference room, and interviewed members of the British American Football Association (BAFA).
The reason Beth was granted a press pass is that, through the college’s Exmouth Raptors’ American football programme, she has just become the youngest member of BAFRA, and only the second female to join the association.
Beth’s interview will now be used for a BBC School Report Day item in the spring, and Raptors’ coach Rob Rooksby says the day was a great milestone for Beth and the Raptors.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am very grateful to the London NFL office for putting so much work into getting us the press pass for Beth at such short notice - it was a fantastic experience for Beth.
“BAFA have recognised our work in a very public way in the programme for the match saying that the college is regarded as the “benchmark” for other schools and that we are leading the way on American Football development in schools in the UK, something we can be very proud of.”
- 1 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 2 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 3 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 4 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 5 Repair cafe opens again
- 6 The virus brought into focus many problems that were already there
- 7 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 8 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 9 Estuary team invite families to go wild with summer activities
- 10 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
BAFA’s director for student football Andy Fuller, who Beth also interviewed, said: “It was a pleasure to meet Beth.
“She is a tremendous ambassador for Exmouth Community College and their innovative American Football programme.”