Beth reports from Wembley pitch at NFL game
An Exmouth student got to take the field at Wembley Stadium, when she interviewed officials at the stadium’s recent NFL game.
Beth Thomson, 18, who attends Exmouth Community College, was handed a press pass by the NFL to carry out interviews on the pitch, before the New England Patriots beat the St Louis Rams in front of more than 84,000 fans.
Not only did Beth get on the field before and after the game, interviewing British American Football Referees Association (BAFRA) officials, but she also got to see the post-game interviews in the stadium’s press conference room, and interviewed members of the British American Football Association (BAFA).
The reason Beth was granted a press pass is that, through the college’s Exmouth Raptors’ American football programme, she has just become the youngest member of BAFRA, and only the second female to join the association.
Beth’s interview will now be used for a BBC School Report Day item in the spring, and Raptors’ coach Rob Rooksby says the day was a great milestone for Beth and the Raptors.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am very grateful to the London NFL office for putting so much work into getting us the press pass for Beth at such short notice - it was a fantastic experience for Beth.
“BAFA have recognised our work in a very public way in the programme for the match saying that the college is regarded as the “benchmark” for other schools and that we are leading the way on American Football development in schools in the UK, something we can be very proud of.”
- 1 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 2 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 3 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 4 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 7 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 8 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 9 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 10 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
BAFA’s director for student football Andy Fuller, who Beth also interviewed, said: “It was a pleasure to meet Beth.
“She is a tremendous ambassador for Exmouth Community College and their innovative American Football programme.”