East Devon man arrested for aggravated burglary on New Year’s Day bailed by police
- Credit: Google
Armed police, a helicopter and a dog unit were sent to the village on New Year’s Day.
A 23-year-old man has been released on bail after being arrested following reports of a masked man wielding a sword roaming the streets of an East Devon village.
On New Year’s Day police descended on Woodbury Salterton in force after reports of a man wearing a mask walking around carrying a ‘large blade’.
Firearms and local officers were deployed to the scene within five minutes and carried out a search for the man with the help of the police helicopter and a dog unit.
Police were called at 8.05am following a report of a man in a mask acting suspiciously in the village.
You may also want to watch:
A man, in possession of a large blade, was seen outside an isolated property. He ran from the property after being seen by the occupants.
He was seen near another location in the village a short time later.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 6 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 7 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 10 Devon Start Up programme for social entrepreneurs
He was not located but further enquiries led to an address in Woodbury Salterton and a 23-year-old man was later arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary.
Detectives are investigating the incidents in the village and appealing to anyone with any information to contact them.
Detective Constable Ailsa Mason, from Exmouth CID, said: “We are currently piecing together the series of events which occurred in Woodbury Salterton yesterday. Understandably this will have caused some alarm to members of the public who were in the area at the time but I would like to reassure the community that no-one was injured.
“We have been contacted by a number of witnesses so far but we would like to hear from anyone else who saw what happened or anyone who may have seen the man around the village at the time. We are especially keen for anyone who may have captured any images on their phones, CCTV systems or mobile devices to contact us.
“We would ask people in Woodbury Salterton to check their property and vehicles and to report any offences to us.
“A suspect remains in custody and will be questioned in due course.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police via email@example.com or by phone on 101, quoting log number 0570 of 01/01/18.
The 23-year-old has been released on police bail until January 31.