East Budleigh with Bicton WI celebrates anniversary
THE SECRETARY of the East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute which is celebrating its 90th anniversary, is hopeful the organisation will still be around in another nine decades time.
Jane Fish, 68, of Dukes Close, Otterton, believes the institute’s popularity among women, both at a local and national level, will carry on for many years.
The WI, which has 205,000 members in the UK, plays a unique role in providing women with educational opportunities and the chance to build new skills.
It enables people to take part in a wide variety of activities and to campaign on issues that matter to them and their communities.
Jane said the East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute birthday celebrations would continue throughout the remainder of the year.
You may also want to watch:
“In August, we are having a virtual race horse day and last April we had a party with balloons, cakes and sparkling wine.
“The county chairman came and some members as old as the institute were present. We had a 90-year-old, for instance, cutting the cake.”
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 3 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 4 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 5 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 8 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 9 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 10 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
The East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute has 60 members. Jane said it was a lively bunch of people and there was a wide age range.
The branch’s next meeting will take place on Tuesday, July 13, in East Budleigh Village Hall at 7pm. Visitors are welcome.