East Budleigh with Bicton WI celebrates anniversary
THE SECRETARY of the East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute which is celebrating its 90th anniversary, is hopeful the organisation will still be around in another nine decades time.
Jane Fish, 68, of Dukes Close, Otterton, believes the institute’s popularity among women, both at a local and national level, will carry on for many years.
The WI, which has 205,000 members in the UK, plays a unique role in providing women with educational opportunities and the chance to build new skills.
It enables people to take part in a wide variety of activities and to campaign on issues that matter to them and their communities.
Jane said the East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute birthday celebrations would continue throughout the remainder of the year.
“In August, we are having a virtual race horse day and last April we had a party with balloons, cakes and sparkling wine.
“The county chairman came and some members as old as the institute were present. We had a 90-year-old, for instance, cutting the cake.”
- 1 Bathing still banned at Exmouth due to pollution but restrictions lifted for Budleigh
- 2 A-level results day for students at Exmouth Community College
- 3 Passenger banned from sitting next to girls on the bus
- 4 Bathing banned at Exmouth and Budleigh due to pollution
- 5 Exmouth beach swimming ban lifted
- 6 Donation from Freemasons to fire-damaged scout hut
- 7 New drone footage shows how beavers are changing the East Devon landscape
- 8 Exeter College bucks national trend with 'best ever A level results'
- 9 CANCELLED - McFly's Exmouth concert called off
- 10 Fundraising plea to replace Exmouth church flagpole
The East Budleigh with Bicton Women’s Institute has 60 members. Jane said it was a lively bunch of people and there was a wide age range.
The branch’s next meeting will take place on Tuesday, July 13, in East Budleigh Village Hall at 7pm. Visitors are welcome.