Donors warned about bogus charities
GENEROUS Exmouth residents who give to good causes are being urged to give with care because of the rise in bogus charity collectors.
GENEROUS Exmouth residents who give to good causes are being urged to 'give with care' because of the rise in bogus charity collectors.
In a Government campaign backed by the police and Age Concern The Association of Charity Shops estimates that charities lose between �2.5 million and �3 million a year through theft and people mistakenly giving clothing to commercial companies in the belief they are charities.
The 'Give with Care' campaign aims at helping households across the country ensure their charity donations are going to genuine causes and help the generous people who want to give to charity understand what to look for in leaflets and bags that come through their letter box.
While clothing companies may be acting legally, their leaflets may be largely indistinguishable from charities, unless people know what to look for.
You may also want to watch:
Four tell-tale signs a leaflet or bag posted through he letter box is from charity is that it will have 'registered charity' printed on it and possibly even a charity number, the name of the charity and a phone number.
Hugh Forde, director retail, trading and training at Age Concern and Help the Aged said: "Like many charities, Age Concern and Help the Aged rely on the generous donations of the public in order to continue funding our vital work.
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Approval for Clyst Valley regional park plan
- 3 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 4 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 5 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 6 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
- 7 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
"Bogus charity collectors can therefore have a real impact on charities, which is why we would advise people to remember the four top tips before giving donations."