Donors must tell their family
DEVON S health bosses are urging people to become organ donors – and tell their loved ones.
DEVON'S health bosses are urging people to become organ donors - and tell their loved ones.
New figures, released by the Department of Health, show that less than a third of all people who could have donated last year actually did.
Of the 238 potential donors in the South West, just 75 transplants were carried out.
Although in many cases there were medical reasons why, a large proportion was because they did not tell their family.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Mike Durkin, Medical Director at the South West Strategic Health Authority, said: "...with the number of people on the organ donation list increasing, we need to try to make sure that we are taking every opportunity to match an organ donor to someone on the organ waiting list.
"We are encouraging everyone to sign up to become an organ donor and - most importantly - let your family know of your decision so that they can ensure your wishes are carried out if the situation arises."
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 3 Approval for Clyst Valley regional park plan
- 4 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 5 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 6 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
- 7 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
Nationally over 16 million people - 27 per cent of the population - have signed up, a 7 per cent increase from last year.
The number of donations has also increased with 174 additional people receiving organs nationally - an increase of 11 per cent.
Anyone wanting to sign up to the Organ Donation Register can sign up online at www.uktransplant.org.uk