Don’t forget the Design Statement
In the recent coverage surrounding the Longboat planning application, one thing has been overlooked: The Budleigh Salterton Design Statement. Compiled with considerable public consultation, it was adopted by East Devon District Council as supplementary
In the recent coverage surrounding the Longboat planning application, one thing has been overlooked: The Budleigh Salterton Design Statement.
Compiled with considerable public consultation, it was adopted by East Devon District Council as supplementary planning guidance in 2004.
It emphasises the unique nature of the town, acknowledging that "Budleigh Salterton is recognised globally, nationally and, without a shadow of a doubt, locally as something special which should safeguarded".
The Design Statement consideration "is to ensure that the development that takes place within the existing built-up area is controlled in such a manner that the special character of the town is preserved. ... it will, however, need to be backed up by a general public that is always vigilant and takes the trouble to examine and, if necessary, object to proposals that would detract from the outstanding natural beauty of the area".
You may also want to watch:
It is disappointing that the EDDC spokesmen do not appear to be aware of The Design Statement status as a material consideration nor to have read any of it.
If current EDDC planners have their way, it will be useful only as evidence of how the town used to look and how local democracy once worked.
- 1 David puts big business career on ice to return to his seafront roots
- 2 Exmouth bodybuilder became cocaine dealer after devastating bike crash
- 3 Sun helps volunteers shine a light on town's blooming brilliant look
- 4 Tri-Hard Runners brave the heat
- 5 Gold medal for East Devon powerlifter
- 6 Farewell for councillor who worked tirelessly for his constituents
- 7 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 8 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 9 Joint initiative Is big bowls success
- 10 Women's triumphant triple challenge set to net £15,000 for charity
There is a reference copy in the library. Or you can view it online at:http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/planning-budleigh-salterton-town-design-statement
2 Marine Parade,