Don’t forget the Design Statement
In the recent coverage surrounding the Longboat planning application, one thing has been overlooked: The Budleigh Salterton Design Statement. Compiled with considerable public consultation, it was adopted by East Devon District Council as supplementary
In the recent coverage surrounding the Longboat planning application, one thing has been overlooked: The Budleigh Salterton Design Statement.
Compiled with considerable public consultation, it was adopted by East Devon District Council as supplementary planning guidance in 2004.
It emphasises the unique nature of the town, acknowledging that "Budleigh Salterton is recognised globally, nationally and, without a shadow of a doubt, locally as something special which should safeguarded".
The Design Statement consideration "is to ensure that the development that takes place within the existing built-up area is controlled in such a manner that the special character of the town is preserved. ... it will, however, need to be backed up by a general public that is always vigilant and takes the trouble to examine and, if necessary, object to proposals that would detract from the outstanding natural beauty of the area".
You may also want to watch:
It is disappointing that the EDDC spokesmen do not appear to be aware of The Design Statement status as a material consideration nor to have read any of it.
If current EDDC planners have their way, it will be useful only as evidence of how the town used to look and how local democracy once worked.
- 1 Exmouth Town mourn former manager
- 2 Budleigh couple’s book detailing their South American adventures
- 3 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 4 Mrs B marks 10 years with All Saints Pre-school
- 5 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Exmouth’s Deaf Academy recognised for ‘outstanding use’ of technology during lockdown
- 8 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 9 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
There is a reference copy in the library. Or you can view it online at:http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/planning-budleigh-salterton-town-design-statement
2 Marine Parade,