Do you recall actor George Arliss?
My name is John Cooper, a freelance writer. I am researching the life of George Arliss, a well known British actor of screen and theatre.
My name is John Cooper, a freelance writer. I am researching the life of George Arliss, a well known British actor of screen and theatre. He lived from 1868 to 1946, and was the first British actor to win an Academy award.
Arliss lived in Exmouth, at Linksway, in Douglas Avenue, which is now a Nursing Home.
I stayed at Linksway, then a hotel, in the early 1970s when it was then run by a Mr and Mrs House.
I should very much like to know the period of time that George Arliss lived at the property.
Some of the ladies who staff the Exmouth Museum remember the actor driving around the town in his Rolls Royce in the mid-1930s. I should be grateful for any information regarding this truly great actor.
- 1 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 2 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 3 'Report graffiti and vandalism', police urge Budleigh residents
- 4 New name and fresh look for Exmouth Museum
- 5 Exmouth coast watch recruit three newbies
- 6 Found: Wanted man from Exmouth
- 7 First hybrid meeting for Exmouth’s U3A branch
- 8 New book about royal celebrations of the past
- 9 Have your say on business development plans near airport
- 10 East Devon beaches given prestigious blue flag award
2 Opal Way, Wokingham,