Dig deep and wear a poppy with pride
May I, through your letters column, appeal to your readers to support this year s Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
May I, through your letters column, appeal to your readers to support this year's Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
There is not a day that goes by without a reminder of the important but dangerous work that our Armed Forces are bravely undertaking in Afghanistan, and in many other places, risking life and limb to help make our world a better place in which to live.
Our hearts go out to those families who are affected by the loss of a loved one and to those servicemen and women who have been injured.
This is where the Royal British Legion does such sterling work. Its services are as much needed now as they ever were, but without the public's generosity the organisation will not be able to carry on with its valuable work at the level that is needed.
You may also want to watch:
And this is where I ask for your help. I know the economic climate is hard at the moment, but I do ask that you dig deep in your pockets and give whatever you can afford to support this very worthwhile cause.
I understand the loss of a loved one through conflict, as my grandfather was killed in the Second World War on HMS Charybdis. My family was lucky that he was identified and buried in Dinard, France. Others were not so fortunate. For all those families, past and present, who have suffered from the effects of war, the Royal British Legion is always there. But we must not take that for granted.
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 4 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 5 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 6 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
So, please give generously - and wear your poppy with pride.
East Devon District Council,