Diamond couple’s charity gesture
An Exmouth couple have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary by raising funds for charity.
Ivan Downing, 81, and his wife, Barbara, 78, held a party at the Police Club, Exmouth, to raise money for Ataxia UK, a charity which fights a neurological disorder, which affects their granddaughter, Becky Downing.
The couple asked for donations to the charity instead of anniversary gifts - and raised �300 from the 80 guests who attended.
The couple first met when 16 year-old Barbara went camping with the Girls’ Training Corps.
She said: “I was walking to the camp and Ivan was on the other side of the road.
“He shouted, “Hello, gorgeous” at me. I just grinned and walked on, because I was very shy.
“I later found out he was at the same camp, and he’d tied his tent to a ‘No Camping’ tree!”
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 South West warning for drought issued
- 3 Chef from Exmouth retains Michelin two star status
- 4 Local history: Withycombe Raleigh's churches
- 5 Plastic free fest held in Exmouth
- 6 'Step aside, Salcombe' - travel article names Exmouth as Devon's up-and-coming destination
- 7 Volunteers sought for Exmouth charity shop
- 8 Exmouth RNLI rescue paddleboards caught in rip tide
- 9 Exmouth classic car show returns this August
- 10 Christian festival coming to Budleigh
The couple had a whirlwind romance and were engaged a year later, with the wedding taking place the following year at St Luke’s Church in Countess Wear.
Ivan went on to work as a heavy plant operator and Barbara worked as a nurse.
They spent most of their lives in Exeter and moved to Exmouth around 13 years ago.
They have three children - Kevin, 56, Rachel, 42, and Charlotte, 38 – six grandchildren and a great grandchild due in November.
Asked why the marriage had lasted for 60 years, Barbara said: “It’s about having a sense of humour. I can’t say we’ve never had any fall-outs, but we’ve never sulked.
“We always make sure we have a cup of tea after we’ve had a moan.”