Search begins for superfast broadband provider in Devon and Somerset
- Credit: Alpha Stock Images
The search is on to find a new contractor to roll out superfast broadband across Devon and Somerset.
Connection Devon and Somerset (CDS) is working with Building Digital UK (BDUK) on a new procurement process.
The Government has confirmed an extension for the CDS programme, helping to provide a £38 million public investment in the region's broadband.
Funding has also been provided by Heart of the South West local enterprise partnership, local authorities, the European Regional Development Fund and the Rural Development Programme for England.
Councillor Rufus Gilbert, Devon County Council cabinet member for economy and skills and CDS board member, said: "CDS is working hard to find alternative broadband providers for our residents and businesses.
"BDUK has always stated its commitment to extend the funding for the programme, and it has backed us by doing exactly that."
Final bids from qualified bidders in the procurement process are expected to be received by CDS by late summer, and contracts are due to be awarded in December.
- 1 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 2 Man in court over alleged 'threat' to Exmouth police officer
- 3 Exmouth gears up for its Winter Festival
- 4 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Bluebird Care Exmouth and Exeter wins nursing award
- 6 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 7 East Budleigh upset the form team
- 8 Exmouth humbled in the wind and rain at Millbrook
- 9 Exmouth museum closes for winter after a successful year
- 10 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now