Devon showcases its artistic talent - Devon Open Art Studios 2009
Devon County Council is again helping to celebrate Devon s flourishing art scene next month by sponsoring the annual Devon Open Studios fortnight which runs from 5-20 September.
Devon County Council is again helping to celebrate Devon's flourishing art scene next month by sponsoring the annual Devon Open Studios fortnight which runs from 5-20 September.
This year sees 240 artists displaying their work in 111 venues and will allow art enthusiasts to visit artists in their studios, discuss their work, see short demonstrations and buy collectable pieces.
A huge range of work will be on show encompassing painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, photography, textiles, jewellery, collage, works in glass, metal, wood and paper, furniture making, installations and a variety of work utilising new media.
Executive Member for Economic Regeneration and Strategic Planning Councillor William Mumford says "In 2008 over �139,000 worth of work was sold by artists participating in the Open Studios - a considerable contribution to the local economy. This event attracts visitors from all over the country as well as the South West and is an important event for the region. It is an outstanding opportunity for people to visit established, new and inspiring artists from all over the county. A chance to discover new talent as well as enjoying old favourites.
You may also want to watch:
Devon County Councillor and local Member for Sidmouth, Councillor Stuart Hughes says; "I am extremely pleased to be officially launching Devon Open Studios 2009 in Sidmouth and wish all the artists the very best for this years event. It is really the highlight of the Devon's cultural calender and I would encourage everyone to try and get along to visit some the county's exceptionally talented and gifted artists."
Kate Wilson, Director of Devon Artist Network says; "We had great feedback from visitors last year, who told us what fantastic days out they had and how much they valued being able to chat to artists. For the first time this year many of our venues are opening late, on the two Thursdays of the Open Studios season, so art lovers can fit a few more studios into their visit!"
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 3 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 John and Grace run for the heart
- 6 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 7 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 8 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 9 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 10 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
Also, during Devon Open Studios, we will be hosting 5 major taster exhibitions across the county. The tasters offer visitors a chance to see one artwork by local participants, to help plan a route around the studios. Our Tasters are:
1) The Duchy Square Centre for Creativity, Duchy Square, Princetown, PL20 6QF - 01822 890828
- For West Devon and Teignbridge based participants.
Exhibition runs 2nd September-26th September.
Private View, Tuesday 9th September 6pm-8pm. A chance to look at this varied taster show - also incorporates Private View of an exhibition of work by Heidi Koenig. All welcome.
2) Exeter Phoenix Galleries, Bradninch Place, Gandy Street, Exeter EX4 3LS - 01392 667080
- For Exeter and Mid-Devon based Devon Open Studios participants
Exhibition runs 4th September-27th September.
3) Kennaway House, Coburg Road, Sidmouth EX10 8NG - 01395 515551.
- For East Devon based Devon Open Studios participants
Exhibition runs 2nd September-20th September.
4) The Flavel, Flavel Place, Dartmouth TQ6 9ND - 01803 839530
- For South Hams based Devon Open Studios participants
Exhibition runs 2nd September - 20th September.
5) The Plough Arts Centre, Artist's Wall - Cafe, 9-11 Fore Street, Great Torrington EX38 8HQ - 01805 624624.
- For North Devon and Torridge based Devon Open Studios participants
Exhibition runs 1st September- 27th September.