Devon Earl up for election
EAST Devon s eurospectics heard a blue-blooded Devon Earl rail against the European Union last week - in his campaign to become a Euro MP.
EAST Devon's eurospectics heard a blue-blooded Devon Earl rail against the European Union last week - in his campaign to become a Euro MP.
At a public meeting at Bicton College last week, William Earl of Dartmouth Dartmouth said that Britain's 'continuing' membership of the European Union was an 'immense' financial burden to the UK.
The debate was part of his campaign to get elected in the South West in June's European elections.
He said: "The costs are quite staggering and even by conservative estimates we pay �40 million a day to the E.U.
You may also want to watch:
"When you factor in the costs of the Common Agricultural Policy and the ongoing environmental disaster that is the Common fisheries Policy, this adds another �40 million per day."
He said that the burdens of unnecessary EU red tape and regulation which were 'gold plated' by the Government amounted to �100 million per day. "Together, this totals over �4,000 per household per year. At a time when we are in a deep recession and need our economy to grow, we simply cannot afford to be members of this very expensive club. The sooner we leave, the quicker we can get the UK economy growing again.
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 6 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 7 Jon Sopel event boosts St Peters’ Chromebook appeal
- 8 Former Exmouth school volunteer recognised with marine conservation award
- 9 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 10 Ban for driver who injured cyclist in Budleigh