Design statement predicted this...
Living, alas, away from dear old Budleigh now, I have recently been talking to an old friend who has been telling me of the proposals for the Longboat Cafe. My first thought was that this is the first reaction of those who cannot stand change. So he sent
Living, alas, away from dear old Budleigh now, I have recently been talking to an old friend who has been telling me of the proposals for the Longboat Cafe. My first thought was that this is the first reaction of those who cannot stand change.
So he sent me a copy of your informative Journal, which makes excellent reading. I learned from one of your letters that there is a document entitled Budleigh Salterton Design Statement, which I looked up online. It was produced five years ago and adopted by East Devon District Council. It was as if it predicted what is taking place. I have changed my views now and fully endorse the ideals of the lobby of people objecting to the plan.
The statement exhorts the general public "to be vigilant, to examine and, if necessary, to object to proposals that would detract from the natural beauty of the area". It is almost biblical in its prediction.
How dare the commercial ambition of one man be allowed to scar the face of our Budleigh?
You may also want to watch:
Yes, Budleigh is quite unique, and that is why people keep coming back year after year. What nonsense to compare it to Exmouth, Sidmouth and Seaton. The diversity of this stretch of coast gives it its magic and must be its selling point.
- 1 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 2 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 3 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 4 Appeal for Lifeboat volunteer guides for new station tours
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 7 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 8 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 9 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 10 Western League opener for Exmouth Town
Glenelg, South Australia.