Cyclists raise money for Exmouth school charity
A GROUP of nine cyclists completed a marathon bike ride from Lands End to Exmouth to raise money for charity.
The band of energetic riders have so far raised �4,233 for the Magnolia Incentive, a local charity that provides financial bursaries and guidance to ex-pupils of Exmouth Community College as they progress through their university studies.
Jamie Blundell, a former bursary recipient, led the team home.
He said: “I am so proud to have been a part of the trip. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever done. But I don’t think I have ever been so exhausted.”
The team of cyclists also included Jamie Gates, Simon Tanner, the current head of post 16 education at the community college, Andrew Cotton, Martin Gill, Darren Bradley, Andy Skinner, Bill Blurton and Les Monk.
The riders, as they entered the last leg of the trip, rode along the new cycle path from Exton to Exmouth.
Martin Gill said: “A fantastic end to a fantastic trip. The new cycle route provided the perfect finale to such a long ride - great views and no hills!”
- 1 Devon County Council launch consultation for residents parking in Exmouth
- 2 Teenager tangled in buoy on River Exe
- 3 Exmouth nurse doing charity wing-walk this Sunday
- 4 Local history: St John in the Wilderness Church
- 5 Woman dies at scene of house fire in Exmouth
- 6 Will people talk in 40 years about the 2022 heatwave like we talk about 1976?
- 7 For all our problems, we are in a far better position than most
- 8 Somerset author giving book signing in Exmouth
- 9 Charities picking up the pieces
- 10 New garden at Budleigh Library
A support vehicle accompanied the cyclists along the North Cornwall coast, over Bodmin Moor to Liskeard, through Tavistock and over Dartmoor.
The support team included Mandy Parker, chair of trustees at The Magnolia Incentive, Jo Smith and Will Land.
The ride was part sponsored by MITIE Engineering in Exeter who provided funds to cover some of the expenses of the trip.
Donations can still be made by visiting the following website address at: www.justgiving.com/Megabike.