Cubs and scouts make a splash at Exmouth Sports Centre
LOYAL spectators flocked to Exmouth Sports Centre to watch energetic youngsters tearing through the water as part of an annual Swimming gala.
A crowd of supporters, made up of friends and family, were captivated by the entertainment on show as talented young swimmers made a splash at The Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton Scout District event.
The groups from Exmouth were joined by Woodbury to compete in events which ranged from traditional front crawl, breast stroke, back stroke and relay.
There were also two special events – a raft race and ‘tow your leader down the pool.’
Boys and girls aged from eight to 18 fought hard to bring the honours home.
The Cub section was won by the 3rd Exmouth with second place going to the 5th Exmouth and 1st Woodbury finishing third.
Positions were reversed in the Scout event with the 5th Exmouth Sea Scouts victorious and 3rd Exmouth Scouts finishing second.
- 1 Devon County Council launch consultation for residents parking in Exmouth
- 2 Exmouth nurse doing charity wing-walk this Sunday
- 3 Local history: St John in the Wilderness Church
- 4 Teenager tangled in buoy on River Exe
- 5 Woman dies at scene of house fire in Exmouth
- 6 Will people talk in 40 years about the 2022 heatwave like we talk about 1976?
- 7 For all our problems, we are in a far better position than most
- 8 Consultation launched as county council proposes residents' parking permit scheme in Exmouth
- 9 Charities picking up the pieces
- 10 New garden at Budleigh Library
Despite a successful gala, the number of teams competing is reducing each year as the amount of Scout Troops and Cub Packs has reduced.
This is in spite of many groups having long waiting lists of boys and girls wanting to share in the activities that Scouting can offer. In some cases the wait can be as much as two years.
The cause is not a shortage of Cubs or Scouts but the lack of Adults able and willing to spare the time to run the various sections.
Scouting is for all, whether aged six or sixty. If you are interested in getting involved visit the following website address at: www.exbudscouts.org.uk.
Alternatively, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Scout Information Centre on 0845 300 1818.