CRIME rates in Otterton have risen while across the rest of the area they have fallen. In the last year Otterton has seen a 30 per cent crime increase compared to Budleigh Salterton, East Budleigh, Colaton Raleigh and Bicton – whose crime rates are down.
CRIME rates in Otterton have risen while across the rest of the area they have fallen.
In the last year Otterton has seen a 30 per cent crime increase compared to Budleigh Salterton, East Budleigh, Colaton Raleigh and Bicton - whose crime rates are down.
Neighbourhood beat manager PC Kim Chapman said Otterton's increase was the result of a spate of motor vehicle thefts from the South Farm area of the village and the actions of a fraudster conning money from residents.
He said the other areas were reaping the benefits of proactive crime prevention.
You may also want to watch:
PC Chapman said: "The only increase was Otterton. That was a little blip of thefts from motor vehicles. On the whole people are more aware of crime prevention and we have got quite a few Neighbourhood Watch schemes.
"People are more observant and keep an eye out, particularly in rural areas."
- 1 Wider ramifications of this summer's traveller troubles
- 2 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 3 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 4 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 5 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 6 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 9 Darcey makes ballerina's day
- 10 Tough day at the office for the Withies
The newly-released 2007/2008 figures show 26 crimes were carried out in Otterton compared to 20 recorded in the 2006/2007 figures.
The figures relate to crimes committed in the Budleigh town area from April 1 to March 31 the following year.
Some 10 offenders were positively linked to the crimes which police have categorised into 16 groups.
Neighbouring Colaton Raleigh had a 25 per cent crime reduction with 15 offences carried out compared to 20 the previous year, and four offenders linked to the crimes.
East Budleigh and Bicton had a nine per cent reduction with 39 offences carried out compared to 43, and a 26 per cent detection rate as 11 culprits were positively linked with the crimes.