Couple to mark diamond anniversary
An Exmouth couple are set to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary in style on a cruise ship.
Ron Bushen, 81, and his wife Betty, 79, will mark 60 years of marriage on July 28.
They will spend their anniversary on a Mediterranean cruise, where they will be joined by their daughter Chris and son-in-law Richard.
The couple, who live in Brixington Lane, originally met as teenagers at school in Minehead, Somerset.
They were married in the local church, but their honeymoon plans were cut short as, the same week, Ron received his call-up papers for national service with the RAF.
The newlyweds were therefore separated for two years as he was stationed at RAF Padgate, in Cheshire.
When he completed his national service, Ron became a dental technician, while Betty got a job as a bank clerk.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
- 3 Exmouth singer Ruby 'has world class talent'
- 4 Wing walking Exmouth nurse has fundraiser postponed
- 5 Exmouth firefighters save cow from ditch
- 6 Littleham group's success after £5k council grant
- 7 Review: 'Time of my life' at Blackmore Theatre
- 8 Exmouth Town enjoy winning start to life in Southern League
- 9 Four live music acts to perform at garden party
- 10 German twinners have 'sehr gut' trip to Exmouth
Then, in 1966, the couple moved to Exmouth, and Ron got a job at the Clarks shoe factory.
The couple have two children, Chris and their son Keith, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
Asked for the secret of their success, Ron joked: “It’s all about give and take- I give and she takes! “Seriously, a good marriage is a partnership, so we’ve always made sure that we’ve shared everything.”
Betty said: “We just seem to rub along together fine, and we never seem to have any problems.”