Couple to mark diamond anniversary
An Exmouth couple are set to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary in style on a cruise ship.
Ron Bushen, 81, and his wife Betty, 79, will mark 60 years of marriage on July 28.
They will spend their anniversary on a Mediterranean cruise, where they will be joined by their daughter Chris and son-in-law Richard.
The couple, who live in Brixington Lane, originally met as teenagers at school in Minehead, Somerset.
They were married in the local church, but their honeymoon plans were cut short as, the same week, Ron received his call-up papers for national service with the RAF.
You may also want to watch:
The newlyweds were therefore separated for two years as he was stationed at RAF Padgate, in Cheshire.
When he completed his national service, Ron became a dental technician, while Betty got a job as a bank clerk.
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 9 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way
- 10 Tributes flow for man who helped reshape city
Then, in 1966, the couple moved to Exmouth, and Ron got a job at the Clarks shoe factory.
The couple have two children, Chris and their son Keith, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
Asked for the secret of their success, Ron joked: “It’s all about give and take- I give and she takes! “Seriously, a good marriage is a partnership, so we’ve always made sure that we’ve shared everything.”
Betty said: “We just seem to rub along together fine, and we never seem to have any problems.”