Council issues water warning
PUBLISHED: 01:01 24 January 2008 | UPDATED: 08:47 10 June 2010
FOLLOWING the tragic death of a baby in Taunton who died from being scalded by water from a hot water tank that had a faulty thermomstat, householders in Budleigh Salterton and Exmouth are being reminded to maintain their water systems. East Devon Distric
FOLLOWING the tragic death of a baby in Taunton who died from being scalded by water from a hot water tank that had a faulty thermomstat, householders in Budleigh Salterton and Exmouth are being reminded to maintain their water systems.East Devon District Council is urging tenants, private landlords and homeowners to watch out for telltale warning signs with their water system to help prevent any further tragedies.And the council will be checking its own properties and taking any action required.The guidance, based on Health and Safety Executive alerts, has warned that particular consideration should be given to hot water systems that are more than 10 years old and systems where homeowners and landlords may be concerned about the initial installation or any subsequent work.The warning signs people in any home should look out for include:l Excessively hot water coming out of the hot water taps, l Excessive noise or 'bubbling' from the hot water cylinder, l Hot water coming out of certain cold water taps (some storage cisterns also feed cold water taps in the bathroom), l Steam/moisture in the roof space. Councillor Ann Liverton, chairman of EDDC's housing review board, said: "Councils treat their role of protecting tenants and local residents exceptionally seriously and we will do everything within our power to prevent any further tragic losses of life through faulty thermostats. "Local people with systems more than ten years old should be aware of how to spot whether their thermostat is faulty and who to contact to get it fixed as quickly as possible. "Homeowners should be aware and alert to the warning signs that appear when a thermostat becomes faulty. We are committed to putting people first and will help local residents to ensure that the right advice or remedy is given to try and prevent any future awful tragedies."The council will be writing to all its tenants with advice on what to look for, following guidelines issued by the Health and Safety Executive. It will also be checking its database to see if any of its properties have been fitted with the same type of system that caused this tragedy and we will remove and replace them."We also plan to inspect properties to check and replace, where necessary, thermostats and CWST platforms and, when Council properties become vacant, we will be including a check on the thermostat as part of our void property inspection.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.