Conservative club to reopen
EXMOUTH Conservative Club will reopen in early March following damage from last month s blaze at Bargains Galore next door.
EXMOUTH Conservative Club will reopen in early March following damage from last month's blaze at Bargains Galore next door.
The office has been relocated to a portable cabin outside while conversion work to install temporary bar in the unscathed snooker room will begin in the middle of next week.
The bar, back room, function room, kitchen and office was severely damaged with holes in the floor and ceiling - it is expected the repairs will take at least six months.
But while damage to the 129-year-old club was extensive most of the trophies, awards and all the records dating back to 1881 were saved.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pike said: "We are endeavouring to enlighten our members about the situation.
"We are going to call a members meeting soon...but at the moment we do not have anything to tell them When we do we will call a meeting."
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 5 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Tributes flow for man who helped reshape city
- 9 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 10 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way
Although he does not have an exact date once the club is reopened members will have to access the club via Sheppard's Row next to to the timber merchants to the rear.
He added: "We are still holding functions thanks to the RAFA Club and Bingo on Thursdays.
"I would urge members to come along or else their membership will lapse.
"We are still accepting new members."
The latest on the club's reopening will be carried in the pages of the Journal.
The club dinner, booked at The Pavilion for February 26, is still going ahead.