Check proves units’ safety
COUNCILLORS have dismissed fears that there are stocks of dangerous materials in workshops located in Exmouth s Victoria Way.
COUNCILLORS have dismissed fears that there are stocks of dangerous materials in workshops located in Exmouth's Victoria Way.
Town councillors Ian Stewart and Steve Gazzard paid an unannounced visit to the businesses and met some of the owners in the last fortnight.
A fire at R & R motors earlier this year prompted the council to call for closer scrutiny of the workshops.
Owners of the businesses, however, hit back at such calls, claiming they were being unfairly singled out and challenged councillors to visit in an open invitation to prove the units were safe.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Gazzard said: "I would like to make it known that my priority has always been people's safety, whether it's staff, the public or nearby residents, and ,if the owners feel otherwise, I can only apologise unreservedly.
"After a full, frank and extremely helpful discussion, for which we thank the owners; we inspected their premises, at their request.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 Sports-related projects set for £300,000 developer cash boost
- 3 'Use any quotation you like, there is a huge problem' - Anthony Bernard
- 4 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 5 Budleigh football facing a moral dilemma
- 6 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 7 Rugby literally back to square one
- 8 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
"We are pleased to be able to advise the council that we saw no hazardous chemicals or acetylene cylinders."
Cllr Gazzard said all concerned considered it a worthwhile visit with constructive exchanges of views. He explained that both himself, and Ian Stewart, were happy with what they saw.
Cllr Gazzard added: "We both wish to record our thanks to all the businesses in Victoria Way for the jobs they provide, the income generated for the local economy and opportunities for our young people.