Charity backs Exmouth Cricket Club’s teen ace Finlay
- Credit: © Guy Newman - 07831 379971
A TALENTED teenage cricketer – who recently won an award at Exmouth Cricket Club – is well on his way to joining Devon’s Youth Cricket tour of South Africa, thanks to a donation from a Clinton Devon Estates charity.
Fourteen-year-old Finlay Marks from Newton Poppleford has been appealing for help to meet his £2,850 target to fund the cricket trip early next year.
The Sidmouth College student – who’s played for the Under 15’s Devon Youth Cricket team for the past four years – was invited to be part of the 14-strong team that will travel to South Africa in February.
A regular at Exmouth Cricket Club – recently winning its Under 15’s Batting Award – Finlay organised a raffle at the club to raise funds for the trip.
He’s also arranged a cake sale and has been doing a magazine delivery round.
You may also want to watch:
Now he’s received a welcome boost with a cheque for £350 from Charles Fane Trefusis, a trustee of Lord Clinton’s Charitable Trust.
“This is a fantastic opportunity for me, not only to play first-class cricket and see how South African cricket differs from British cricket, but also to learn about South Africa, the culture and the townships,” said Finlay.
- 1 Outpouring of support for Afghan refugees arriving in Exmouth
- 2 East Devon elects new councillor in the Exe Valley
- 3 Probus club members resume 2021 meetings
- 4 County’s major arts event exceeds expectations in first few days
- 5 Nightingale hospital in running for top industry award
- 6 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 7 Yachtsman provides a valuable learning service for watch team
- 8 Local government working together to help Afghan refugees
- 9 Season coming to a close at Madeira Bowls
- 10 Charity football match for Budleigh Veterans
“As well as playing games, we’ll be visiting Table Top Mountain and going on safari in the Kruger Park, which I’m really looking forward to.”
Finlay still needs to raise another £1,000 for his trip.
“I’d appreciate any level of contribution, particularly from local businesses who may want to sponsor me in return for an acknowledgment or advert in our tour brochure.”