Charger warning after fire in Exmouth home

PUBLISHED: 12:30 27 August 2016

Archant

Firefighters who recently attended a small electrical blaze at a home in Exmouth are urging people to use the correct equipment when charging up mobile phones.

The message comes from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, which said the incident was caused by a faulty lead or appliance.

It said cheap or unsafe chargers could put homes and loved-ones at risk.

Watch manager Gareth Sydenham said: “The fire was small but could have easily spread to something worse.

“When we arrived the occupier had already smothered and extinguished the fire, which resulted in them receiving a slight burn injury that required hospital attention.

“The occupier had been using non-genuine phone chargers.

“We would remind everyone to not leave devices charging for long periods and make sure that you are using the correct chargers.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal