'Cat saved my life in bedroom blaze'

PUBLISHED: 14:25 06 October 2016 | UPDATED: 15:42 06 October 2016

Lorraine Farley with her cat Carrots. Ref exe 39-16TI 8872. Picture: Terry Ife

Lorraine Farley with her cat Carrots. Ref exe 39-16TI 8872. Picture: Terry Ife

Archant

Carrots the cat turned hero when she came to the rescue of her pensioner owner, saving her life when her bedroom caught fire.

Lorraine Farley, 66, of Mountain Close, Littleham, was woken from a deep sleep by her 12-year-old black and white cat frantically pummelling her chest, alerting her to a bedroom blaze raging around her.

Lorraine, whose mobile phone charger had exploded, setting fire to her furniture and carpet, said she owed her life to her ‘best friend’ pet.

“The firemen said if it hadn’t have been for my cat, I wouldn’t be here.

“I think all the love I have given her over the years, she gave back to me all at once - she saved my life. It makes me a bit emotional,” said Lorraine.

“She can’t understand me, but if she would talk, I would tell her how grateful I am and how she will always be with me and be loved.

“I was so grateful she was unharmed.”

Lorraine, who wants to alert others to the dangers of leaving phones charging overnight, said: “Carrots usually sleeps at the bottom of my bed. I would imagine she was trying to get me to wake up for a while. She’s amazing, jumping up and down. She’s only a little cat.

“I had two people staying. She had been running in and out. They thought the smoke alarm was going off because I was making a load of toast; they were ignoring her.”

The pensioner’s bedroom caught fire after her phone charger - plugged in next to her bed - developed a fault.

Flames licked around the pensioner’s head, destroying her pine headboard, pillows and bedside table - and turning her carpet into a sea of fire.

Carrots ran between her owner’s room and sitting room, where friends were sleeping, desperate to rouse them.

Lorraine, who has owned Carrots since a kitten, said: “I went to sleep. The next thing I knew my cat was jumping up and down on me. I opened my eyes. All I could see were flames.

“I jumped onto the carpet, which was covered in flames, and it welded to my feet.

“My two friends were staying. They came into my bedroom just as I was getting out of bed.

“I ran out to the balcony and put my feet in water. I was in a complete daze. I didn’t know what was going on. I was shocked.

“I don’t remember going to hospital. One minute I was asleep in bed. The next thing I was in hospital with burnt feet.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists