Carnival club set for bumper year
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town s carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town's carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
Julie Meredith of Budleigh Salterton Carnival Club said that their efforts were up �1,000 on last year and they have donated �2,100 of that sum to good causes - and had enough to buy a mini-bus and have money left over.
She said: "I think everyone would agree that the bus was a good buy, it has made trips to carnivals easier and more enjoyable."
And she added their float, Showbiz Sparkle, was one of their 'best ever' entries, costing �1,000 to make and run, with a return of �738.50 in prize money.
"The highlight for me in 2008 was of course Bridgwater Carnival," she said. "I nearly burst with pride as we joined the very large procession of very large floats.
"We were made so welcome throughout the day.
- 1 Councillors formally support bid for levelling up fund
- 2 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 3 What if housing developments could be done differently?
- 4 Budleigh vineyard wins gold at inaugural wine competition
- 5 Despite the recent heatwave, Devon County Council is on course to beat climate change targets
- 6 Do you remember the general election of 1979?
- 7 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 8 Swimming pool flasher sent to mental hospital
- 9 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 10 Freezing license fee is sensible, but I didn't stand for dismantling BBC
"We feel pleased with the results and hopefully we can make 2009 our best yet.