Carnival club set for bumper year
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town s carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town's carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
Julie Meredith of Budleigh Salterton Carnival Club said that their efforts were up �1,000 on last year and they have donated �2,100 of that sum to good causes - and had enough to buy a mini-bus and have money left over.
She said: "I think everyone would agree that the bus was a good buy, it has made trips to carnivals easier and more enjoyable."
And she added their float, Showbiz Sparkle, was one of their 'best ever' entries, costing �1,000 to make and run, with a return of �738.50 in prize money.
You may also want to watch:
"The highlight for me in 2008 was of course Bridgwater Carnival," she said. "I nearly burst with pride as we joined the very large procession of very large floats.
"We were made so welcome throughout the day.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 4 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 5 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 6 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 7 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 8 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 9 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 10 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
"We feel pleased with the results and hopefully we can make 2009 our best yet.