Carnival club set for bumper year
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town s carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town's carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
Julie Meredith of Budleigh Salterton Carnival Club said that their efforts were up �1,000 on last year and they have donated �2,100 of that sum to good causes - and had enough to buy a mini-bus and have money left over.
She said: "I think everyone would agree that the bus was a good buy, it has made trips to carnivals easier and more enjoyable."
And she added their float, Showbiz Sparkle, was one of their 'best ever' entries, costing �1,000 to make and run, with a return of �738.50 in prize money.
You may also want to watch:
"The highlight for me in 2008 was of course Bridgwater Carnival," she said. "I nearly burst with pride as we joined the very large procession of very large floats.
"We were made so welcome throughout the day.
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 3 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 6 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 7 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 10 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college
"We feel pleased with the results and hopefully we can make 2009 our best yet.