Carnival club set for bumper year
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town s carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
FUNDRAISING efforts by the town's carnival club saw them collect over �6,000 in last year - and 2009 could be their best yet.
Julie Meredith of Budleigh Salterton Carnival Club said that their efforts were up �1,000 on last year and they have donated �2,100 of that sum to good causes - and had enough to buy a mini-bus and have money left over.
She said: "I think everyone would agree that the bus was a good buy, it has made trips to carnivals easier and more enjoyable."
And she added their float, Showbiz Sparkle, was one of their 'best ever' entries, costing �1,000 to make and run, with a return of �738.50 in prize money.
"The highlight for me in 2008 was of course Bridgwater Carnival," she said. "I nearly burst with pride as we joined the very large procession of very large floats.
"We were made so welcome throughout the day.
- 1 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 2 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 3 Denley's wins top restaurant accolade at Asian Curry Awards
- 4 Designated drivers offered free drinks this Christmas
- 5 Exeter man guilty of threatening police officer on Exmouth seafront
- 6 Theatre group returns with 9 to 5 musical magic
- 7 Awesome Aaron earns Exmouth win with a worldie
- 8 Support your local traders in late-night shopping event
- 9 Round-Britain paddleboarder to address Budleigh Probus Club
- 10 East Devon football results
"We feel pleased with the results and hopefully we can make 2009 our best yet.