Carers in get free helping hand
ST JOHN Ambulance is backing unpaid carers in Budleigh Salterton, inviting them on to a free specialised support programme.
The Carers Support Programme, now in its fourth year, is for the first time being held in Budleigh Salterton Hospital on September 8.
The programme will be held over four weeks and carers will be given help and information on topics such as managing incontinence, advice on back care and prevention of injury, the prevention of falls, basic skills in first aid and stress management.
Helen Whitmore, a carer who lives in Budleigh Salterton, went to the Exmouth course last year and said: “The course was thoroughly enjoyable, well-presented and informative.
“I was given every opportunity to ask questions and clarify points and the session on coping with dementia was very, very useful.”
The programme was launched in 2007 and, so far, hundreds of unpaid carers in Exeter, Honiton and Sidmouth have benefited.
Emma Healey, is the programme manager and a qualified nurse, and she said: “We are very pleased that the word is spreading. Some close friendships are being made as a result of carers attending these courses and I have no doubt this course in Budleigh Salterton will have far-reaching benefits for those who join us.
- 1 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 2 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
- 3 How can you help Exmouth?
- 4 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 5 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
- 6 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 7 Exmouth Harriers turn to the Countryside
- 8 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 9 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 10 Law firm invites students to apply for work experience placements
To be eligible for the free course, people must be over 18 and care for someone over 18, unpaid.
For further information contact Emma Healey on: (01392) 822646 email firstname.lastname@example.org
St John is also looking for sponsorship from local businesses, the public sector and carers groups.