Car drivers warned to take care as nights draw in
AS the clocks go back tonight to mark the end of British Summer Time, the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) is warning drivers to take care in the darker conditions.
AS the clocks go back tonight to mark the end of British Summer Time (Sunday 25th October Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) is warning drivers to take care in the darker conditions.
IAM chief examiner Peter Rodger said: "Optimum driving conditions are now ending after an autumn with reasonably good weather, so drivers may need to reduce speed to reflect bad light and weather conditions. More hours of darkness as the clocks go back may require slower speeds - especially in the evening as earlier darkness means children are still on their way home in the dark."
"Drivers should remember that speed limits are not targets. They are there as a guide for driving in optimum conditions.
"The period between late afternoon and early evening, the time when most casualties happen, is now in darkness."
You may also want to watch:
Driver safety suggestions from the IAM:
* Don't wait until it's fully dark to turn your lights on; see and be seen.
- 1 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 2 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 3 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 4 Exmouth Parkrun is back with a bang
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Western League opener for Exmouth Town
- 7 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 8 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 9 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 10 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
* Take particular care where children may be playing as light fades, especially between 4pm and 6pm.
* Look out for pedestrians and cyclists wearing dark clothing.
* Check your windscreen wiper blades are in good condition and washer reservoir topped up.
* Keep the windscreen clean and clear
* Carry a spare pair of shoes in your car as dry soles make it easier to drive.
* Check your lights and tyres, including your spare tyre and carry a spare set of light bulbs
* Wipe your head lights and tail lights to keep them bright.