Call to arms for Commando Challenge
THE Royal Marine s have laid down the gauntlet and are once again challenging teams to sign up for their assault course for charity this autumn.
THE Royal Marine's have laid down the gauntlet and are once again challenging teams to sign up for their assault course for charity this autumn.
In an event which judging by previous years will inevitably be the muddiest, muckiest yet, Saturday October 9 and Sunday October 10 will see the 20th Annual Royal Marines Commando Challenge charity event take place on Woodbury Common.
Teams of three or more daredevils are wanted to take on this world famous Royal Marines training course - to help raise funds for the Devon Air Ambulance Trust and for the first time this year 'The C Group', a charity supporting Royal Marines.
All Teams entering either the 4k cross country route or the 'more interesting' 10k event will face such superb obstacles as the 'Sheep Dip', the 'Crocodile Pit' and 'Peters Pool' - as well as underground tunnels and black bogs.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Hardy, Organiser of the event said: "We already have several teams promising "to go commando" or the 'Fatboys 15' and the 'Dayglow Dipsticks' - but not only do we need more teams, but also many more strange and interesting team names."
This year the event is being held on behalf of the Devon Air Ambulance Trust, and a spokesman for the charity said: "We are not just here for the people of Devon, but also for all those people visiting Devon or passing through the county".
- 1 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 2 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 3 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 5 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 6 Voluntary sector shows again how it responds quickly
- 7 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 8 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 9 Withies pick up their first away win of the season in Cornwall
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
Alongside the Air Ambulance in 2010 is a relatively new national charity The C Group www.thecgroup.org which has been established to support Royal Marines, who during 2010 will be serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan.
If you would like to enter either the 4k FUN or 10k MARINE Commando Challenge or simply want more information you should call 01392 272842 or visit the event web site at www.commandochallenge.co.uk where you can download your entry form today.