Business parking permits set to be given an overhaul by county highways bosses
- Credit: Archant
Businesses, contractors and landlords may soon be able to buy special permits to park in restricted areas in Exmouth and across Devon.
County chiefs are consulting on proposed changes to their parking dispensation permit scheme.
Currently, contractors working on a building site have to pre-book the area they want to park in.
Devon County Council wants to provide the permits to provide greater flexibility.
If approved, three different types of permits will be available to pre-purchase and use as and when required.
These permits are an annual permit for £45, a batch of 20 three-hour short stay permits for £60 and single permits.
Each single permit application would cost £5 plus £5 for each day up to 21 days.
- 1 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 2 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 3 More than 600 jobs up for grabs at Travelodge - including in South West
- 4 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 5 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 6 New assistant chief constables at Devon and Cornwall Police
- 7 Win keeps Exmouth Town second with games in hand
- 8 Exmouth history: Roman Devon and the arrival of Saxons
- 9 Strong demand for properties continues into the new year
- 10 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
The aim is for the new service to be introduced in September.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council cabinet member for highway management, said: “The scheme aims to make it much easier for contractors and landlords, offering them greater choice and reducing the admin they need to do to book a dispensation permit. The permits are essential to enable them to park in areas with parking restrictions, while ensuring that traffic movement isn’t disrupted. However, until this consultation process has been completed, it’s business as usual for anyone booking a parking dispensation.”
To comment online, visit: http://devon.cc/cpetro