THE construction of the new Eurotech factory, Exmouth s largest private employer, has begun - paving the way for the opening of a Lidl for Christmas 2010.
THE construction of the new Eurotech factory, Exmouth's largest private employer, has begun - paving the way for the opening of a Lidl for Christmas 2010.
It follows last week's town council approval of new signs advertising the discount supermarket store.
Eurotech has teamed up with Lidl in a multi-million-pound plan, which will see the industrial and retail businesses operate independently from the same location, in a site share scheme.
In all, the scheme would retain the 140 jobs at a new factory and create an additional 25 to 35 jobs at Lidl.
You may also want to watch:
The plans would unlock 'unusable' land on the current three-acre site for a new, purpose-built, circuit building factory, scheduled to be completed by the spring. Then, the 10-month construction of a Lidl store can commence on the existing factory site.
"It's about a six-month build," said a spokesman for Eurotech. "Then we are looking to move personnel and equipment into the new premises, which will be phased over a couple of months during the summer."
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 4 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 7 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 8 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 9 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 10 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
A spokesman for Lidl, Oliver McGuiness, said: "If the new Eurotech factory is completed by March or April, (a Lidl) opening for Christmas 2010 or soon after would be a reasonable time scale.