Budleigh Salterton park open for play
YEARS of waiting for a children s park to be built in Norman's Crescent finally came to an end this week when the district council officially launched the new play area.
YEARS of waiting for a children's park to be built in Norman's Crescent finally came to an end this week when the district council officially launched the new play area.
The �26,000 park was funded by cash set aside by the developers - part of the conditions imposed several years ago by East Devon District Council (EDDC) when planning permission was granted for the housing development.
Fears had been raised over the years the money could be lost when some residents turned against the park - saying they wanted the cash to be spent landscaping the area.
On Monday the local youngsters saw the fruits of their work with the district council when the new equipment was officially opened.
Budleigh Salterton town councillor Caz Sismore-Hunt, who worked to bring the park idea to fruition, said: "I'm thrilled that the play park is at last up and running. I was determined to see it completed.
"Once the site was transferred to EDDC, and the design and equipment was approved, installation was started quite quickly - unfortunately the bad winter weather held things up.
- 1 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 2 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
- 3 How can you help Exmouth?
- 4 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 5 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
- 6 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 7 Exmouth Harriers turn to the Countryside
- 8 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 9 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 10 Law firm invites students to apply for work experience placements
"The site is in a perfect position. It's enclosed and away from main roads. I think the local children will appreciate it and make full use of it.
"I am delighted it has been opened in time for the Easter holidays.