Budleigh Salterton 'lifeline' awarded financial helping hand
A BUDLEIGH Salterton lifeline has been given a financial helping hand by the town council.
A BUDLEIGH Salterton 'lifeline' has been given a financial helping hand by the town council.
The Exmouth and District Community Transport Group has been awarded �1,000 to help with its running costs.
The members boosted the �675 request from the ring and ride service, saying the cause was paramount to the town.
Councillor Tom Wright said: "It's a lifeline for a large number of our community in Budleigh Salterton."
You may also want to watch:
The charity told Budleigh's members the group had a 'difficult' 2009, and was forced to use �10,000 from its reserves to cover running costs.
Office staff last year sent out score of grant requests, but by the middle of 2009 the charity had yet to secure any extra funding.
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 3 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 4 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 5 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 6 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 7 Royal Marines Charity gets donation from Devon-based roofing firm
- 8 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 9 Exmouth’s Deaf Academy recognised for ‘outstanding use’ of technology during lockdown
- 10 A busy start to May for Exmouth Harriers
Jill Elson, chairman of the ring and ride service, said: "All our passengers praise and value the service.
"The passengers have said it not only gives them the opportunity to be independent, but also a social life.
"Our passengers would be confined to their homes without this service."
The group started in 1990 as a shopping service for disabled and elderly people who were unable to use public transport.
Since then it has expanded to allow lone parents in rural areas to use the service.
The service is a joint partnership between Devon County Council, East Devon District Council, parish and town councils.