Budleigh plumber refutes snow criticism
A PLUMBER from Budleigh Salterton said criticism aimed at local authorities after a number of motorists were stranded on roads during East Devon s cold snap was not deserved. Steve Cooper, 42, of Clarence Road, was stuck on Haldon Hill, near Exeter, last
A PLUMBER from Budleigh Salterton said criticism aimed at local authorities after a number of motorists were stranded on roads during East Devon's cold snap was not deserved.
Steve Cooper, 42, of Clarence Road, was stuck on Haldon Hill, near Exeter, last week for around five hours as heavy snowfall brought motorists to a standstill.
Stranded drivers, as a result, complained to the council highway department for allowing the route to grind to a halt. It is the second time in 12 months the road has faced similar problems.
But, 42-year-old Steve said the criticism was unfair and the delays could not have been helped because of the sheer nature of the unprecedented weather.
"It was just one of those things," he said. "In all the years I have been driving, around 25 years, I have never seen weather like it.
"The authorities could not clear the snow quickly enough."
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 9 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 10 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
Volunteers from St John Ambulance branches around the area helped with efforts to care for motorists who were stranded in the snow.
More than 80 members responded to a request from Devon County Council to provide immediate care and medical facilities at two rest centres for drivers on the A38 Haldon Hill.
Severe conditions, including ice and snow, made the road impassable.
Devon County and Teignbridge District Councils decided to establish rest centres at Chudleigh Town Hall and Exeter Racecourse at Haldon.