Budleigh parish priest celebrates 90th birthday
CHURCHGOERS joined members of a parish priest’s family to celebrate his 90th birthday this week.
Father George Gerry, of St Peter Prince of Apostles Roman Catholic church in Budleigh Salterton, marked his birthday last Friday, October 1.
In 1939, Father Gerry worked as a postman in central Glasgow and when World War II started he volunteered for the Royal Navy.
He served in all the major theatres of battle including Singapore, the Atlantic, D Day and the end of the Germany occupation of Norway.
After the war he attended colleges in London and Dublin before being ordained. He served in several parishes in the Plymouth RC Diocese before coming to Budleigh Salterton in 1982.
You may also want to watch:
On October 21, he will have been parish priest for 28 years.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 3 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Photographers invited to share their favourite images
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 8 Devon has one of the highest recycling rates in the UK
- 9 Hospiscare yarn-bomb mail trail is a delight for all to enjoy
- 10 New funding pot for community buildings in East Devon