Budleigh mail pick-up point rejected
- Credit: Archant
A former Budleigh Salterton postie has revealed she offered a life-line service to save residents having to travel to Exmouth to collect their post.
Pat Prew, who now runs The Card Shop Too, in High Street, offered the shop as a possible place for people to collect undelivered mail once the sorting office closes.
Royal Mail announced that its Budleigh premises will close on Monday (May 9), moving all operations to Exmouth. The company had also said it had been unable to secure a ‘local’ solution for delivery pick-ups, meaning residents may have to travel five miles to get their mail.
Pat said she offered the card shop as a possible pick-up point, but the idea was rejected.
She said: “Royal Mail told me it is not the policy because Exmouth is only five miles away. We’re open seven days a week, we have room and we even have a lockable safe.
You may also want to watch:
“We are quite willing to put this service on for the people of Budleigh.”
Royal Mail had confirmed that it is providing a free re-delivery service to an address in the same EX9 postcode for anyone not at home when the postal worker calls.
- 1 Couple walking from Exmouth to Swanage in memory of Pippa
- 2 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 5 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 6 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 7 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 8 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 9 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 10 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
Town mayor Courtney Richards believes a pick-up point would be a ‘win-win’ situation.
He said: “It would be a good idea if Pat is willing to do it. If someone does want some stuff delivered to Budleigh, to have a pick-up point would be quite a useful facility.”
A Royal Mail spokesman said: “We are aware that a local business offered their premises to provide a collection service for first-time undelivered Royal Mail items to customers in Budleigh.
“In order to maintain the integrity of our mail service, we are unfortunately unable to accommodate this offer.
“We would like to remind customers that Royal Mail offers several options for mail delivery, including redelivery on a more convenient day, delivery to neighbour or designated neighbour and redelivery to another agreed address within the same postcode area.”