Budleigh Literary change
Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival has made some changes to its line-up after two authors had to ‘reluctantly’ pull out.
Hilary Mantel has suffered medical complications following surgery, forcing her to cancel all engagements for the rest of the year.
Also unable to appear is Susan Hill, who has withdrawn due to personal reasons.
Instead, festival president Sue Lawley has stepped in to save the day to present Desert Island Books.
Miss Lawley, with Simon Brett and Hugh Williams, will put on a dramatic presentation of some of their favourite readings running all the way from Marcus Aurelius to Seamus Heaney via Shakespeare and George Eliot.
You may also want to watch:
The organisers will announce details of a replacement for the Susan Hill event in due course.
A spokesman for the literary festival said: “We have to announce with great regret that Hilary Mantel has suffered medical complications following surgery, forcing her to cancel all engagements for the rest of the year.
- 1 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 New meeting place needed for nattering knitters
- 4 Century celebrations ahead for wartime evacuee Joan
- 5 Fantastic fight night return for local boxing
- 6 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 7 Photographers invited to share their favourite images
- 8 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
“Susan Hill has most reluctantly withdrawn for personal reasons.
“We are much indebted to Sue Lawley and to Simon and Hugh for offering to put on this very special event at extremely short notice.”
The changes mean the talk by Hilary Mantel, at 2pm, on Saturday, September 25, will be replaced by Sue Lawley’s presentation.
Those with tickets for the original event will be admitted to Desert Island Books. Some additional tickets may be available at the door.
Refunds are available for those who hold Hilary Mantel tickets and do not wish to attend Desert Island Books.
To claim your refund, write to the Treasurer, BSLF, 14, Victoria Place, Budleigh Salterton EX9 6JP, with an SAE, enclosing your tickets.
Refunds will also be available against any unwanted tickets at the door on September 25.
l Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival runs from September 24-26.
For more information and to see the full programme, visit www.budlistfest.org.uk