Man who built Budleigh methodist church honoured

PUBLISHED: 16:30 05 October 2017

The Reverend James Froggatt and county councillor Christine Channon unveiling a blue plaque to honour James Lackington, who built Budleigh's Temple Methodist Church. Picture: Michael Downes

The Reverend James Froggatt and county councillor Christine Channon unveiling a blue plaque to honour James Lackington, who built Budleigh's Temple Methodist Church. Picture: Michael Downes

Archant

James Lackington, a London second-hand bookseller who built Temple Methodist Church, in Fore Street, has been honoured with a blue plaque.

An 18th century London bookseller responsible for building Budleigh Salterton’s original Methodist church has been honoured.

A blue plaque has been unveiled at the Temple Methodist Church, in Fore Street, for former cobbler and bookseller James Lackington.

The unveiling, by the Reverend James Froggatt and county councillor Christine Channon, is the culmination of a project organised by Fairlynch Museum, also in Fore Street, and supported by a grant by Devon County Council.

Michael Downes, of Fairlynch Museum, said that after a £5 loan from Methodism movement founder John Wesley, Lackington set up his first second-hand bookshop in London.

The business became a success and upon his retirement to Budleigh Salterton, he decided to build a church for the area’s Methodists.

Michael added: “He (Lackington) retired to Budleigh in 1807 and built a chapel for local Methodists. It was apparently because he was so struck by the ‘spiritual destitution of the place’.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists