Budleigh in Bloom plea
HELP us to keep Budleigh Salterton blooming – that is the message from the town s in-bloom group.
'HELP us to keep Budleigh Salterton blooming' - that is the message from the town's in-bloom group.
Budleigh in Bloom chairman Pat Prew says it will be all hands to the pump if the town is to retain its award-winning floral displays once the district council's cuts come into force.
The group is appealing for volunteers to maintain the town's displays now the district council is to cease to supplying plants, or paying for flowerbed maintenance.
Mrs Prew said: "We want to keep Budleigh Salterton blooming as best as we possibly can.
You may also want to watch:
"Budleigh in Bloom is going to continue with their own flower beds and planters in 2010, and due to the cutbacks made by East Devon District Council we are going to take over the majority of the planting that has previously been done by the Streetscene workers."
Mrs Prew said as well as the town's troughs and planters needing sponsorship, there were several areas that required dedicated 'carers'.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 5 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 6 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 9 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
She said individuals or groups were welcome to adopt an area or flowerbed and become responsible for its upkeep.
Mrs Prew said the bloom group was happy for plaques to be erected saying who was caring for the area.
She said: "We need help in planting, watering, dead heading and general maintenance if anyone can spare a little time to do one or two of these - or take it all on in any one area.
"Particular areas are the trough at the bottom of Fountain Hill, the concrete pots along the seafront, the surrounding wall at the bottom of Victoria Place, or any of the council beds on the Green, but any help in any other area is welcome."
To help, contact Mrs Prew on (01395) 443098 between 6pm-7pm or 07980 593739, between 2pm-7pm, visit www.budleighinbloom.co.uk or call into the town council offices.