Budleigh grandmother abseils for charity
A Budleigh Salterton grandmother’s abseiling efforts have helped raised more than �1,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Card Shop Too assistant Ave Conroy, 60, recently teamed up with Jessica Zaple, 22, of the Queen Street Dental Practice, to abseil down Dartmoor’s Foggintor quarry.
Grandmother-of-four Ave took the plunge twice after her son pledged an extra �20 sponsorship if she repeated the abseil.
Ave, a mum-of-four, who lives at The Rolle, thanked her guide for the day, Jack Russell, who helped both women scale the rock face.
She said: “I thought it was great. The first time I did it, my legs were like jelly. I did it a second time because my son said he would give me an extra �20.”
Ave, who has worked in the card and sweet shop for five years, said she decided to raise funds for the cancer charity after the disease struck her family.
She thanked everyone who had sponsored the women’s abseil challenge.
- 1 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 2 Exmouth gears up for its Winter Festival
- 3 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 4 Proposal for a permanent beach volleyball pitch on an East Devon beach
- 5 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 6 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 7 Man in court over alleged 'threat' to Exmouth police officer
- 8 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 La La Choirs in full voice to support children's hospice
Ave is still accepting sponsorship, which can be dropped into the shop.