Budleigh flower show battles against extinction
An 80-year-old Budleigh Salterton tradition could soon be extinct, if this year’s July event fails to pull in visitors and competitors.
Organisers of the Budleigh Salterton Flower and Produce Show say dwindling numbers could spell the end for the event.
Event spokeswoman Sue Peters said: “Like all the local shows, we are having terrible difficulty drumming up enthusiasm to continue with the show.
“That would be very sad after something like the 80 years I believe it has been running here in various forms - both for committee people, show entrants and also visitors to the show.
“I don’t know how much longer we will be able to continue. People are just too busy and committed in many other ways.”
This year’s show will be held on Saturday, July 2, from 12.30pm until 4.30pm, in the Public Hall.
All are welcome to enter in the flower, vegetable and store cupboard classes and also the traditional summer photographic competition.
- 1 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 2 More than 600 jobs up for grabs at Travelodge - including in South West
- 3 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 4 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 5 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 6 New assistant chief constables at Devon and Cornwall Police
- 7 Win keeps Exmouth Town second with games in hand
- 8 Exmouth history: Roman Devon and the arrival of Saxons
- 9 Strong demand for properties continues into the new year
- 10 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
Entries are now being taken and schedules and forms are available from The Garden Shop, in Station Road, to be returned by noon on Thursday, July 1.
Photographic entries are to be taken to Budleigh Salterton Library for the same time and date.
Sue appealed to the public: “Please support the show, which we hope will enjoy its usual success, as our gardens are now producing a wonderful display, despite coming through some very difficult growing conditions earlier this year.”
Refreshments will be served on the day and there will also be a raffle.