Brixington blaze: smoke alarm saves family
- Credit: Archant
A family from Brixington who fled to safety when a blaze tore through their home were saved by a smoke alarm, the fire service says.
A Brixington family escaped with their lives thanks to a smoke alarm when a fire ripped through their home in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Around 20 firefighters from Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton and Exeter tackled the blaze when it ripped through the Durham Close family home.
Watch commander Nigel Snowshall said the family was saved by the alarm and by immediately evacuating the property.
A pet cat died in the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Snowshall said: “The family got out because they were woken by the smoke alarm. They could smell smoke from the kitchen area.
“They did the right thing; they didn’t investigate the fire. They got everybody out and called us.
- 1 Couple walking from Exmouth to Swanage in memory of Pippa
- 2 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 5 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 6 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 7 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 8 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 9 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 10 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
“If they had opened the door and investigated the fire it could have been a very different outcome.”
When the crews arrived at around 12.30am on Wednesday, smoke was pouring from the property.
Firefighters believe the blaze started in the kitchen area of the home.
Crews said it was likely the fire had been going for sometime before the smoke alarm sounded because the family had followed the correct procedure of closing internal doors at night.
The blaze engulfed the kitchen and utility room while smoke damaged the rest of the property.
Mr Snowshall said alarms save lives: “If a smoke alarm activates, especially at night when you are not aware of what’s going on in the property, especially if you smell smoke, do not investigate the fire.
“Call us out and we will investigate it safely.”