Brave Maddie walks for Palestinian girl
An Exmouth youngster who suffers from cerebral palsy has completed a courageus charity walk to help support a Palestinian child.
Maddie Tolman-May, 12, of Raddenstile Lane, cannot walk unaided, and normally uses a wheelchair.
But Maddie was determined to take on a fundraising challenge after Lympstone Methodist Church, which she attends, decided to sponsor Careen, a nine-year-old pupil at the Beit Sahour School in Palestine.
When Maddie found out about Careen, she was determined to play her part in the fundraising and, despite her disabilities, she decided that a charity walk would be the best way to raise money.
Using a special walking frame, and supported by family and churchgoers, she successfully completed a 300 step walk from Lympstone village car park to the Methodist Church, raising �407 in sponsorship.
Maddie, who speaks through typing on a computer keypad, said: “I wanted to walk to help Careen go to school in Beit Sahour. Lots of people help me and I want to do something special myself for her.”
Maddie’s mother, Julia, said: “Maddie enjoys school, and education has opened up a whole new world to her, so she felt strongly about doing this.
- 1 Devon County Council launch consultation for residents parking in Exmouth
- 2 Local history: St John in the Wilderness Church
- 3 Exmouth nurse doing charity wing-walk this Sunday
- 4 Teenager tangled in buoy on River Exe
- 5 Woman dies at scene of house fire in Exmouth
- 6 For all our problems, we are in a far better position than most
- 7 Will people talk in 40 years about the 2022 heatwave like we talk about 1976?
- 8 Consultation launched as county council proposes residents' parking permit scheme in Exmouth
- 9 Melbourne magic from a flying Exmouth Harrier
- 10 Somerset author giving book signing in Exmouth
“We are all very proud of her for being so determined to help someone less privileged and we would like to thank everyone who has encouraged her, and everyone who has donated so far - �407 is an amazing amount of money.”
Donations are still being accepted to support Maddie’s walk, and can be sent to Lympstone Methodist Church, Chapel Road, EX8 5ER.