Brave Maddie walks for Palestinian girl
An Exmouth youngster who suffers from cerebral palsy has completed a courageus charity walk to help support a Palestinian child.
Maddie Tolman-May, 12, of Raddenstile Lane, cannot walk unaided, and normally uses a wheelchair.
But Maddie was determined to take on a fundraising challenge after Lympstone Methodist Church, which she attends, decided to sponsor Careen, a nine-year-old pupil at the Beit Sahour School in Palestine.
When Maddie found out about Careen, she was determined to play her part in the fundraising and, despite her disabilities, she decided that a charity walk would be the best way to raise money.
Using a special walking frame, and supported by family and churchgoers, she successfully completed a 300 step walk from Lympstone village car park to the Methodist Church, raising �407 in sponsorship.
You may also want to watch:
Maddie, who speaks through typing on a computer keypad, said: “I wanted to walk to help Careen go to school in Beit Sahour. Lots of people help me and I want to do something special myself for her.”
Maddie’s mother, Julia, said: “Maddie enjoys school, and education has opened up a whole new world to her, so she felt strongly about doing this.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 5 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 9 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
“We are all very proud of her for being so determined to help someone less privileged and we would like to thank everyone who has encouraged her, and everyone who has donated so far - �407 is an amazing amount of money.”
Donations are still being accepted to support Maddie’s walk, and can be sent to Lympstone Methodist Church, Chapel Road, EX8 5ER.