Brass-band Olympic marathon
MANOR Garden s bandstand will come to life later this month as Exmouth Town Concert Band takes part in the national Bandstand Marathon.
MANOR Garden's bandstand will come to life later this month as Exmouth Town Concert Band takes part in the national Bandstand Marathon.
It's the second year the Bandstand Marathon has taken place, reviving the use of the much loved public bandstand and engaging communities in free public' music.
The national event has more than doubled in size and Exmouth will now once again be one of over 120 locations around the UK which will celebrate the music of traditional brass, silver and town bands.
In last year's marathon pilot scheme over 1500 musicians played to upwards of 25,000 people, with the eventual aim to celebrate the Olympic Games with an original piece of music being played simultaneously throughout the UK at some 400 bandstands in 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Formed in 1981, but with origins as far back as Queen Victoria's jubilee in 1887, The Exmouth Town Concert Band has wowed crowds over the summer, playing on Monday evenings in the grounds of the Imperial Hotel on the Exmouth seafront, at Exmouth Music and Arts Weekend, in Weston Super Mare and at local fetes.
The Band is entirely self-financing and donations are most important to keep the band and music alive.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 4 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 7 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 8 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 9 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 10 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
They are always on the look out for new players. If you are interested, contact the Band Secretary Derek Roberts on; (01392) 490802.
Tickets are also available from Exmouth Pavilion for their Autumn Concert on the October 21 2009 under the baton of our new Director of Music ex-RM Bandsman Steve Grant.