Brass-band Olympic marathon
MANOR Garden s bandstand will come to life later this month as Exmouth Town Concert Band takes part in the national Bandstand Marathon.
MANOR Garden's bandstand will come to life later this month as Exmouth Town Concert Band takes part in the national Bandstand Marathon.
It's the second year the Bandstand Marathon has taken place, reviving the use of the much loved public bandstand and engaging communities in free public' music.
The national event has more than doubled in size and Exmouth will now once again be one of over 120 locations around the UK which will celebrate the music of traditional brass, silver and town bands.
In last year's marathon pilot scheme over 1500 musicians played to upwards of 25,000 people, with the eventual aim to celebrate the Olympic Games with an original piece of music being played simultaneously throughout the UK at some 400 bandstands in 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Formed in 1981, but with origins as far back as Queen Victoria's jubilee in 1887, The Exmouth Town Concert Band has wowed crowds over the summer, playing on Monday evenings in the grounds of the Imperial Hotel on the Exmouth seafront, at Exmouth Music and Arts Weekend, in Weston Super Mare and at local fetes.
The Band is entirely self-financing and donations are most important to keep the band and music alive.
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 3 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 4 Sports-related projects set for £300,000 developer cash boost
- 5 'Use any quotation you like, there is a huge problem' - Anthony Bernard
- 6 Budleigh café steps in to provide school lunch parcels
- 7 Reverend Steve Jones - Finding a Quiet Space
- 8 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 9 Budleigh football facing a moral dilemma
- 10 Lets use money from cancelled holidays to help those in need - Anthony Bernard
They are always on the look out for new players. If you are interested, contact the Band Secretary Derek Roberts on; (01392) 490802.
Tickets are also available from Exmouth Pavilion for their Autumn Concert on the October 21 2009 under the baton of our new Director of Music ex-RM Bandsman Steve Grant.