Blaze breaks out on Woodbury Common
PUBLISHED: 18:11 21 June 2010
A LARGE gorse fire broke out on Woodbury Common last weekend – the second major blaze at the site in two months.
Six fire appliances were called to deal with the incident which started at around 4.45pm last Saturday, June 19, near the Bystock Reservoir.
The blaze involved one acre of gorse with trees well alight upon the crew’s arrival. Five hose reel jets and beaters were used to extinguish the fire.
Scores of firefighters tackled a blaze which raged across the common last April, thought to have been caused as a result of a disposed cigarette end.
Clouds of smoke were visible from several miles away.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.