Big Exmouth jobs boost with new store
- Credit: Archant
Eighty jobs are coming to Exmouth after The Range confirmed it will be opening a new store later this year.
The Range, a home, leisure and garden retail chain, will be based at Liverton Business Park in the former B&Q Exmouth branch building.
The jobs will be a mix of full-time and part-time roles.
A Range spokesperson confirmed the move, saying: “The Range will be opening a new store at Liverton Business Park later this year.
“The store in Exmouth will also include an outdoor garden centre.”
You may also want to watch:
B&Q’s Exmouth branch had been trading for more than 20 years before closing in November 2015.
The planned closure of the store was initially announced in April 2015, for a date sometime in 2016, which was then brought forward to November of last year.
- 1 Health chief calls for review of 'confusing' schools covid policy
- 2 Community responds brilliantly to Afghan refugee crisis
- 3 Mayor tells of pride at kindness shown to Afghan refugees
- 4 Nightingale hospital in running for top industry award
- 5 Headteacher joins calls for improved school funding
- 6 East Devon reports rise in Covid cases
- 7 East Devon elects new councillor in the Exe Valley
- 8 Students leave phones at home for day to help cancer charity
- 9 Outpouring of support for Afghan refugees arriving in Exmouth
- 10 County’s major arts event exceeds expectations in first few days
B&Q announced in March 2015 it would be closing 60 UK stores during the following two years.
At the time, company bosses said they hoped to minimise redundancies by redeploying employees within other parts of B&Q and parent company Kingfisher.
Ian MacQueen, chairman of the Exmouth Chamber of Commerce, welcomed the arrival of The Range.
He said: “This is brilliant news. It shows that Exmouth is a forward-thinking town. Big retailers want to come to places like that.
“My message to people in Exmouth, who are looking for work, is to make a name for themselves by writing to their chief executive, Chris Dawson.”
Mr Dawson started off as a market trader in Plymouth and opened The Range’s first store in 1989, at Sugar Mill Business Park in Billacombe Road, Plymouth.
He was ranked number 77 on the Sunday Times Rich List in 2014.
The businessman is stated as being worth £1.28billion, up from £695million just three years ago. He is the third richest person in the South West.
Mr Dawson said, in February 2015, that he wanted to open 1,000 stores across Europe.