Big day for Budleigh charity champion
Budleigh Salterton charity champion Geoff Paver has been presented with his MBE by the Princess Royal at Windsor Castle.
Budleigh Lions Club member Geoff, of Clinton Close, received the news back in June he had been appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire for his charity work and tireless dedication to the town.
Watching Geoff receive his award were his wife, Heather, who he credited for her support when the Queen’s Birthday Honours were announced, his son, Mark, and youngest daughter, Heidi.
During the investiture, Geoff spoke to Princess Anne about the charities he supports and East Devon.
Geoff said: “We talked about Budleigh Salterton and Otterton, where my family have been since 1605, about my charity work, including my 24 years as chairman of the Budleigh Salterton Guide Association, the building of the Venture Hall and the Budleigh Salterton Lions Club and Gala Week.
You may also want to watch:
“I was able to inform her that it was through her grandmother that Lions Clubs came to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. She was unaware of this, but said that she would check up on it.
“It was truly a wonderful day and I felt a terrific sense of pride. To be recognised by this award was truly amazing.
- 1 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 2 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 3 Sound move to join singing group
- 4 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 6 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 7 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 8 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 9 Stunning cup display from Brixington U11s
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
“Other members of my family came with us and this was a day I shall never ever forget - and likewise my family.
“Thank you to all involved in nominating me and for all the cards, emails and messages we have received.”