Become a beach lifeguard
Exmouth Beach Rescue Club is teaming up with the RNLI to run an intensive beach lifeguard course. Those successfully passing the exam will gain essential lifeguard qualifications needed to apply to work as a lifeguard for the RNLI.
The intensive beach lifeguard course runs from Saturday October 23 and ends with an exam on Friday October 29.
The course combines practical and theory sessions to cover beach safety operating procedures, hazard awareness, accident prevention, first aid including CPR, and pool and open water rescue skills - including sea rescues using equipment such as rescue tubes and rescue boards.
Those successfully passing the exam will gain essential lifeguard qualifications needed to apply to work as a lifeguard for the RNLI.
Julian Smart, RNLI lifeguard supervisor for East Devon, said: “We’re extremely grateful to Exmouth Beach Rescue Club for running the course.
You may also want to watch:
“Its open to everyone, but we’re especially keen to encourage people living in the East Devon area who might be interested in working for the RNLI on the beaches in Exmouth, Teignmouth and Dawlish.
“Gaining your beach lifeguard qualification now means you can apply to become a RNLI lifeguard as soon as the online applications open for the 2011 season in December and if successful, secure your place early.”
- 1 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 2 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 3 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 5 Sound move to join singing group
- 6 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 7 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 8 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 9 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
- 10 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
Places on the courses will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Potential applicants must demonstrate a high level of fitness and be able to swim 400m in under seven and half minutes and run 200m on the beach 40 seconds.
The course is �150 and covers membership to Surf Life Saving Great Britain, along with the cost of the training manual and examination fees.
To book a place, contact Julian on 07900 918 147 or email Julian_Smart@rnli.org.uk