Artist in residence returns to Manor Gardens
Exmouth’s Michael Buckland took up his role of Exmouth Festival’s ‘artist in residence’ in Manor Gardens for the second year.
As part of the festival, he spent much of the nine-day event capturing the festivities on canvas and on paper.
He drew and painted the crowds and performers in an effort to bring the visual arts into the heart of the festival by having an artist working among the public.
As the drawings were created, they were displayed in the volunteers’ tent, which became an outdoor studio and gallery.
He said: “Many people came to see the work and to talk to me about the project. I drew subjects ranging from the schools’ concert to beat boxers and much in between.”
You may also want to watch:
On Bank Holiday Monday, Michael took part in the second arts cafe at the Axis Centre in a one-day showcase of art, performance, music and poetry by Exmouth artists.
He added: “The last event I drew was the festival finale at the Imperial Ground on the final Friday.
- 1 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 2 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 3 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 5 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 6 Voluntary sector shows again how it responds quickly
- 7 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 8 Sound move to join singing group
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 10 Withies pick up their first away win of the season in Cornwall
“All in all, the art work made a fitting celebration of a wonderful and memorable festival.”