Art show raises holiday spirits
TO RAISE everyone s spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
TO RAISE everyone's spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
Visitors to the art exhibition, now open until Wednesday, August 5, at Newton Poppleford Primary School, will be asked to select the painting they think best depicts their memories and images of a happy holiday.
Three holidays will also be on offer in a prize draw organised to raise funds for Hospiscare.
Chairman Roger Boud said: "In 2007 we raised over �1,000 for Hospiscare's 25th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
"Then, last year, �750 was raised with the Big Picture, when 30 artists each painted a square of a famous Lowry painting, The Fever Van."
The top prize, courtesy of Bristol-based Seasons Holidays plc, is a holiday worth up to �700, offering seven nights luxury self-catering accommodation for two at Seasons Whitbarrow Village, in the Lake District.
- 1 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 2 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 3 Exmouth Harrier wins British Masters marathon
- 4 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 5 Repair cafe opens again
- 6 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 7 The virus brought into focus many problems that were already there
- 8 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 9 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 10 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
The Cottage Hotel, Hope Cove, has offered two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast for two as the second prize, and the Royal Beacon Hotel, Exmouth, has given one night's dinner bed and breakfast for two.
Tickets are available from the secretary on (01404) 812630. Hospiscare shops and the Exeter hospice are also selling them.
l The society, which has 90 members, meets at Newton Poppleford Church Hall on the third Thursday of the month. For more information call Colin Baines on (01404) 812630.