Art show raises holiday spirits
TO RAISE everyone s spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
TO RAISE everyone's spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
Visitors to the art exhibition, now open until Wednesday, August 5, at Newton Poppleford Primary School, will be asked to select the painting they think best depicts their memories and images of a happy holiday.
Three holidays will also be on offer in a prize draw organised to raise funds for Hospiscare.
Chairman Roger Boud said: "In 2007 we raised over �1,000 for Hospiscare's 25th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
"Then, last year, �750 was raised with the Big Picture, when 30 artists each painted a square of a famous Lowry painting, The Fever Van."
The top prize, courtesy of Bristol-based Seasons Holidays plc, is a holiday worth up to �700, offering seven nights luxury self-catering accommodation for two at Seasons Whitbarrow Village, in the Lake District.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
- 7 Exmouth Talking Newspaper celebrates 40th birthday
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 10 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
The Cottage Hotel, Hope Cove, has offered two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast for two as the second prize, and the Royal Beacon Hotel, Exmouth, has given one night's dinner bed and breakfast for two.
Tickets are available from the secretary on (01404) 812630. Hospiscare shops and the Exeter hospice are also selling them.
l The society, which has 90 members, meets at Newton Poppleford Church Hall on the third Thursday of the month. For more information call Colin Baines on (01404) 812630.