Anti-violence campaign kicks off
A GLOBAL campaign protesting against gender-based violence and inequality called Thursdays in Black is being launched by Christian Aid, Exmouth next month.
A GLOBAL campaign protesting against gender-based violence and inequality called 'Thursdays in Black' is being launched by Christian Aid, Exmouth next month.
Every Thursday people across the globe wear black as a personal and public protest against gender-based violence and inequality.
The campaign launches on Monday November 2 at 7.30pm upstairs at The Grove on Exmouth Sea Front.
At the launch you can hear new songs from the unreleased album by Lara Conley.
Martin John Nicholls of Chritian Aid said: "Thursdays in Black is part of the international campaign for gender equality.
"Today the campaign focuses on ways in which we can all challenge the attitudes that cause discrimination, inequality and violence.
- 1 Angry passenger keyed a car in disabled parking dispute
- 2 Lympstone Marine trainer halfway through THREE ultra marathon challenge
- 3 Exmouth business create leggings to raise funds for Hospiscare
- 4 Budleigh vineyard wins gold at inaugural wine competition
- 5 Art exhibition celebrates Jurassic coastline
- 6 Monty creates Jubilee figure for his last East Budleigh Scarecrow Festival
- 7 Season-ticket purchase period extended at Exmouth Town
- 8 Floral boat dedicated to Budleigh fisherman Digger Rogers
- 9 Budleigh joins scheme to put East Devon on green tourism map
- 10 Budleigh Music Fest line-up announced
"It reinforces, at both a personal and public level, that there is something wrong with a world that allows the human rights of women, men and children to be abused and threatened.
"It provides an opportunity for people to become part of a worldwide movement which transforms our outrage into action.
"Our ultimate ambition is for Thursdays in Black to be a strong and respected voice on issues of global gender equality. We want to regularly raise money to support those fighting oppression around the world and to be a growing movement of people committed to equality.