Anti-Longboat figures not valid
P Moore (letters, July 9) repeats David Daniel s assertion that 74 per cent of people are against the Longboat Cafe plans.
P Moore (letters, July 9) repeats David Daniel's assertion that 74 per cent of people are against the Longboat Cafe plans. Likewise, an anonymous writer suggests the council will be voted out if they go "against the public's wishes".
A group of Year 7 school children would laugh such a misuse of statistics out of the classroom!
The 74 per cent figure represents Mr Daniel's calculation of the number of representations made to the council that were against the plans. This, however, is not in any way a statistically valid representation of the views of the public. No survey has been conducted, no poll taken, no referendum held.
The sample from which the 74 per cent has been calculated is a self-selected sample of people who have the time and/or the inclination to respond to a planning application and is highly unlikely to be representative of the views of the local population.
You may also want to watch:
If the council really wants to ensure it does not go "against the public's wishes", it can only establish what the public's wishes are by consulting them via a proper market research exercise or a census of the local population.
Until such time, people pursuing their own agenda should refrain from falsely claiming that the majority of people are against the Longboat plans.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 3 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 6 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 7 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 8 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
Foxwood, Knowle Road,